Burners: Green 3 Gates At Hurley

    It was a strange feeling to be leaving home at 6:30am and it being bright and kind of sunny! It brought a good feeling for what would be in store for the day. Arriving at Hurley I noticed that there were a few new faces waiting along with Jacko. Charlie and Hugo were also there.

    We were going to be at the weir for the whole day so I took down a spare change of cloths to keep warm. I also had my lunch and some bits and bobs if I needed them, all packed into my 100 ltr dry bag.

    After doing warm ups and introductions we headed over to the wave to start our days training. It was really nice to just paddle with some friends without having the stress of having to train extra hard for selections. It was also nice because we weren't worried about flushing off the wave, so we were trying some new moves.

    Charlie, Hugo and I decided that we'd work on pistol flips as our main move for the day. After trying them a few times we figured out that it was going to be a big challenge for us to learn. I started to throw them from a roundhouse or blunt so that I had some momentum to pull me round. As good as this was, I felt that it didn't help the pistol flip on its own.

    We then moved onto Bread and Butters mainly because they look good and they're fun to do. I found them hard as my backstab is on the opposite side for a bread and butter compared to the side I normally do them. But having the extra bounce from the blunt was a huge help for some more air time.

    I also wanted to start using the shoulder more instead of going down the middle of the wave, this is to get me more air time and a better blunt. I found it a bit of a challenge to find the right place to throw when on the shoulder, but when i hit the right spot, I felt like I was getting allot of air time. This is really good as I felt like I was doing pan ams! Also for doing my right blunt, the shoulder acted as a little kicker which helped to push the boat up and over me, instead of around me.

    Hugo and I also started to mess about with cross gate airscrews. Due to the level of the wave we weren't able to stick them but they were going huge. We were also catching the wave train waves which were really bouncy and fun to throw moves on. I almost landed an airscrew in on of the waves.

    Overall a really fun day, and was great to be out on the water with my friends while learning some new cool moves! Also forgot to take my camera down to the weir, so unfortunately there aren't any pictures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds 2015

Kit Care and Re-proofing

Summary Of My Week in Nottingham