Burners: 2 Gate fun at Hurley

    Today Hurley had dropped down to 2 gates, which was in a way a positive as it provided a different type of wave which would in tern need us to paddle with a different technique. At first it was really strange to paddle this wave, mainly because the shoulder was really wide and happy to push you off the back of the wave.

Right Blunt
    I decided that my aims for the day were to be: Helixs, pistol flips and also K-Ys. We went through with Jacko a few things that would help each other in terms of getting the moves. This is because a few of us were looking at pistol flips. After looking at a few videos of Stephan Write doing pistol flips at the SAS Hurley Classic last burners session we had all come back with different ways that we could pull the move. My idea was to bounce, pull the boat round, and then throw your loop as quickly and as aggressively as you could.

Back blunt
    Getting some McNastys in gate 1 was a good starting place for myself as it helped me to get used to the speed that id have to throw the loop from the spin. After doing this I then moved the gate 2 to try and reenact what was just happening. It didn't go to well. Because of the wave being flatter compared to gate 1, pulling the boat round was much harder.

Trying for the pistol flip in Gate 1
    We then did some filming with Jacko to go back and analyse while having lunch. For the filming I decided to practice my competition rides to see how the would work on a different wave. I also changed my spins to have 2, one after the other so that I would guarantee my spins. My first ride was going well till catching my edge and power flipping. In my second ride I did all of the spins, a pan am, air screw and also a back blunt then I flushed trying to K-Y. My third ride I went straight for a pistol flip to try get it on film to see what I'm doing wrong.

    We then went back to Jacko's to look over the footage from our session. We offered Jake, a new member to the Burners group, some suggestions on how to get across the shoulder onto the second gate we started to look over all of our footage. Jacko said if I try to look up before throwing my airscrew he feel that it would go bigger. We also realised how strange my airscrews are, I throw them, stop the boat halfway through the rotation, and then pull it back round to finish the move.  Charlie and I then looked at another clip of a pistol flip in super slow motion and realised that Stephan bounces flat on the hull of his boat during the move and doesn't use the rails to start the rotation.

    We go t back down to the weir and there was only Seth Ashworth there which was nice because it was fairly empty and we could have more rides on the wave. Charlie and I started to have some duo rides for fun. Jacko also joined us for a few of the rides!

Party on the wave
    I was also focusing on using the shoulder to give me more of a kick into my pan ams, which I really enjoy doing at the moment. I'm starting to get the hang of where to aim for when using the shoulder. Also I'm starting to throw moves on both sides which is good for learning moves quicker.

Pan am
    After a really productive afternoon I came away with a lot of positive energy of what I've learned throughout the day!
Seth- Clean Brown Claw blunt


Lunar orbit kind of move


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds 2015

Kit Care and Re-proofing

Summary Of My Week in Nottingham