Summary Of My Week in Nottingham

    Yet again I was set to be spending a week up in Nottingham training for the World Championships in the coming future. As I had heard from Jamie that the course was re arranged to have some waves on I was expecting some good waves. When I arrived I found there was no inlet gate and all of the features were shallow and very hard to retain, still I had to train and make the best out of it!
Going for a Loop

    At the end of my first session I went away a bit dissapointed with the course and finding that I hadn't made any progression. Over the weekend Jacko was coming up for burners so I was hoping he would be able to shed some light upon my training. As Jacko was also planning on training hole moves we were all a bit lost. We all started paddling and getting used to the new set up, Jaws was the main feature we would be using as it was probably the most retainable, sort of like a really small shallow Plattling! A key thing I was trying to practise was plugging shallow so that I didnt hit the floor with my boat. For this I needed to lean forwards while paddling backwards to slow the boat down, then when it came to jumping, only doing a small jump and using the paddles againt the water to generate height.

    As the weekend came to a close we had slowly gotten used to the course! Muncher was a really good wave and I really enjoyed paddling on it! It is really useful for learning helixes because the shoulder was so powerful! I feel a whole lot more confident with my helixes now and can't wait to try them on Garb!


    Though-out the week we paddled most days apart from Tuesday, where I had to stop and repair the nose of my boat as I had managed to break it. On a few of the days I went wakeboarding to have a short rest from the stress of the course, this was good to relax and have some fun outside of training. We also got to go rafting a few times to help out the trainee raft guides witt their qualification! This was great fun and has possiably pointed me in this direction for my future as a job! We also got one of the Duckies out and played with that one night while Emma was photographing the rafters!

    Overall, paddling the course had helped me to widen the range of features that I'm able to paddle on and do tricks that will score. It also helped me to learn some new skills like plugging shallow as well as being able to retain features quicker after my tricks! Unfortunatly my GoPro was dead through-out the week so only have some of the photos Emma has taken of me!
Blunting on the shoulder or Jaws


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds 2015

Kit Care and Re-proofing